The Red Queen


Author: Victoria Aveyard

Read: 6/20/2017

Pages: 383

Rating: 4.5/5

Format: Audio

Book Description: This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power. Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime. But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

Response: I don't even know where to start. Aveyard's characters were well written, and had me invested in what happened to them. I loved the scenes with Cal and Mare, and I'm pretty sure that's the ship I have a seat on. But Mare and Maven grew on me through the book, like a mold, so the ending had me angry with Maven since he was so sweet throughout the book. I can see what Mare sees in him, but damn, I think he lost any redeeming qualities in the end. The last 30 or so pages were too intense for me, even though I had cheated and read the description for Glass Sword and knew everyone lived. But something tragic could still happen, right?

Overall, it was a good book that I might read (or listen to) again, but I'm kind of  glad this wasn't a book I had bought a physical copy for. Even though The Red Queen was an adventure from start to finish, and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a new book to read, it reminded me a little too much of the Hunger Games

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV shows that made me want to read the books

City of Lost Souls

Great DIY Bookshelves