Dragonfly in Amber


Author: Diana Gabaldon

Read: 8/9/2017

Pages: too damn long (743 pages = just shy of 39 hours)

Rating: 3.75/5

Format: audio

Book Description: 20 years later Claire Randall returns to Scotland with her full grown daughter. It's there with Brianna and Rodger, that Claire tells them the truth of the events that led up to Brianna's birth. Including an ancient circle of standing stones, a love that crosses time, and about Jamie Fraser. Her story picks up where Outlander left off, with the Pairs court and Charles Stuart  to contend with, Jamie and Claire are in a race to change history.


Response: I picked this book up right after I finished Outlander and was extremely confused about the time jump to the 1960s and how we got there. It's eventually explained after a couple of chapters, but it would've been nice to just continue on from Outlander and save, what could've been a realization that Clarie's telling the story, for the last few chapters. It was just an irritating thing that I held onto through the book even though it eventually makes sense what Gabaldon is doing. Claire telling her story as though it's happening real time, which was a plus. The story is fascinating, however, it's long and drawn out with big breaks in between things that feel important. I have a love/hate relationship with how the story ended back in the 1700's, but that's why there's 6 more books right? I gave this a 3.75 because I liked it for the most part, but I don't think I will read it again, but there's a chance I will. Also I don't think I would recommend this one to anyone unless they're dedicated to the series, and then it's a must. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV shows that made me want to read the books

City of Lost Souls

Great DIY Bookshelves