The American Heiress


Author: Daisy Goodwin

Read: 7/28/2017

Pages: 468

Rating: 1.5/5

Format: audio

Book Description: Cora Cash goes to England to find a husband. She's rich and beautiful and *falls* (literally) into a marriage with the Duke of Wareham, Ivo. However, he's withdrawn and secretive, and the English social circles hold traps and betrayals.


Response: I'm only giving this book 1.5 stars because I basically hated it, but I *did* finish it. The only reason I did, was because I was determined to cross it of my 2017 TBR List. The American Heiress felt like it had no plot, while there were so many missed opportunities for one. While Goodwin had a "love triangle", it was poorly used and executed. The "love triangle"  between Cora, Teddy, and Ivo was not only painful to read and obvious who Cora would choose, but only really emerged the last few chapters of the book. It was a pathetic excuse for drama. The characters didn't make you sympathize or empathize with them at all. Cora was spoiled and naive, Mrs. Cash was basically Mother Gothel of New York, and The Double Duchess was the stereotypical overbearing, in charge, duchess. The only person I really liked, other than Bertha (she at least had character development), was Mr. Cash. Shout out to him in protecting his daughter's money instead of giving her inheritance to both Cora and Ivo! But basically, this book was a train crash I couldn't look away from. If you want to read this book for yourself, the link is below. Proceed with caution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV shows that made me want to read the books

City of Lost Souls

Great DIY Bookshelves