Club Dead

6314851

4/5

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris picks up where Living Dead in Dallas left off. Sookie and Bill are together in Bon Temps but Bill is being really secretive. Things get even more strange when Bill tells Sookie that if anything happens to keep his computer safe and that he's going to be going to Seattle. Only later do we find out that he actually went to meet his ex, Lorena, and that he was leaving Sookie to go back to her. Not only does Sookie not find this out from Bill himself, but from Eric.

And to top it off, Bill was he going to leave her and pay her off essentially, but now he's gone missing and everyone's asses are on the line. So Sookie goes on a mission with Alcide to Mississippi where they get into all sorts of trouble trying to track down Bill. But it takes Sookie getting stabbed with a stake for her to be able to get close enough to rescue bill from the King of Mississippi's compound. 

There are lots of fights in this book and Sookie keeps getting her ass kicked, but she also keeps fighting like a wild cat, so she's got that going for her. And she's still breathing, so there's that. I really enjoyed this book and am excited to continue on in the series. I wasn't too thrilled that the love triangle is now a square with the introduction of Alcide, but I also think Alcide is a better fit for Sookie than Bill for sure, and possibly even Eric. Though I would love to see how Eric behaves when Sookie is officially his. 

Sidenote: I'm glad Bubba was officially acknowledged as being Elvis, but it shouldn't have taken until book 3 to do it. He's been in every book so far, he should've had a better introduction.

She laughed a little. “Oh, but . . .” she began. Then she fell silent. “You’re shitting me, right?” Mamie Eisenhower would never have said that, I was willing to swear. “Absolutely not. There was a vamp working in the morgue that night,” I croaked. Betty Jo made a sound that came out between a gasp and a choke. “Don’t call him by his real name. Call him ‘Bubba.’ And for goodness’ sake, don’t hurt him.” “But we’ve already . . . hold on!” She ran. I could hear the urgent sound die away. (75%)

Thoughts on some of the characters:
  • Alcide Herveaux was well cast in True Blood as Joe Manganiello fits him to a T.
Pic from Google

  • The way Lorena is described makes it sound like Bill has a thing for blondes. Which did not match the True Blood actress. 
Pic from Google
Favorite Quotes:
He and Eric were both big men and the room really seemed crowded all of a sudden. Maybe their egos were using up all the oxygen. (38%)

"Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink," I said, and Eric laughed out loud. That was why I liked him, I thought rosily; he "got" me. (58%)

I wondered where Alcide was. Maybe he had caught that son of a bitch Newlin. (65%) I really hope Newlin dies soon so he can't screw over Sookie anymore.

"I don't like having feelings," Eric said coldly, and he left. That was a tough exit line to top. (65%)

As she moved, without a conscious decision I whipped up the stake and pointed it at an angle. As she came down on me, the sharp point went in her chest and out the other side. Then we were on the floor. I was still gripping the end of the stake, and she was holding herself off of me with her arms. She looked down at the wood in her chest, astonished. Then she looked in my eyes, her mouth agape, her fangs retracting. "No," she said. Her eyes went dull. (67%) I really loved this part. I hate Lorena and I'm glad she died a lot easier in the books than in the show. 

"And killed Lorena," I added. Another pregnant silence. Eric began to grin. "You offed Lorena?" He had a good grasp of the vernacular, for a very old vampire. It was hard to interpret Bill's expression. "Sookie staked her," he said. "It was a fair kill." "She killed Lorena in a fight?" Eric's grin grew even broader. He was as proud as if he'd heard his fisrtborn reciting Shakespeare. (74%) Eric is so cute lol.

"You are soiled for humans," Eric said. His slight foreign accent was more apparent. "Maybe I am. Though I don't see that as much of a loss, since I didn't have any luck with guys before." Hard to date, when you know exactly what your date is thinking. So much of the time, knowing a man's exact thoughts can erase desire and even liking. "But I'd be happier with no one than I am now." (80%)

"You are speaking of my future lover. Be more respectful. Why were you looking for us?" (84%) Love Eric lol.

This was when living alone really got to you, when you felt bad or sick and there was no one there. (92%)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV shows that made me want to read the books

City of Lost Souls

Great DIY Bookshelves