Physical or ebooks?

There's always the debate, is physical or ebooks better?

With physical, or paper, books, you get to actually hold them in your hands and feel the texture of the paper. And that new book smell, ugh, so good. Pardon me while I drool over the thought. Not to mention that some of them are so pretty! I just recently bought The Nightingale and the texture of the cover is beautiful, not to mention the design of it. You only really get that with physical books. But they do have their downfalls: they take up a lot of space depending on how many you have and how thick they are. Not to mention that new copies are usually twice as much as ebooks from what I've seen so far. 

While in public, physical books can make a great deterrent so that people don't talk to you as you can hide behind them easier. Though you can do that with an ebook, it looks a lot more rude to be staring at a screen versus paper. Plus you look just a smidge smarter staring at a book over a phone or tablet since the other people can see that you're reading a book, and not just hanging out on Facebook. 

But ebooks are so convenient! They take up no space at all, other than storage space on your device. And if you're like me and keep them on your phone, then you're not having to carry around a book with you as you always have a library of your books at your fingertips. It's also cool that you can't misplace or damage them as they're always backed up. The reason I've really gotten into ebooks lately is because I can check them out from my library without ever leaving my house. Between overdrive (or libby), amazon, and apple, you have every book ever written at your fingertips at a moment's notice. 

If you like to touch books though, you're out of luck with ebooks. The closest you can get to them is your phone or tablet screen. It's also really hard to show off your library if it's all on your phone. It's not like you can walk in and be like "here's all my ebooks, watch me scroll forever through them". Whereas you can walk someone up to your bookshelves and it's a lot more impressive for physical books. 

There's merits to both, it just depends on your lifestyle. Personally, I love physical books, but I've started to like ebooks as well. If a book isn't pretty (or I don't want to admit to reading it lol), I won't buy it for my bookcase. I'll buy it to keep on my kindle app where it's safe, but out of sight. 


Which do you prefer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV shows that made me want to read the books

City of Lost Souls

Great DIY Bookshelves